1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Guitar Hero

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Somewhere, Joel Zumaya weeps.

2. We have Rock Band at our house and still love playing it - just did so last week.
    In fact, my 5yo daughter is already a huge Beatles fan because of Rock Band, which I think is pretty damn cool.

Mizzou, you're one of my favorite posters here, but "just learn to play guitar" has to be one of the dumbest things you've ever written, and if South Park did an episode suggesting the same thing, Matt and Trey had a similar lapse.
    I get a kick out of rocking the axe on Rock Band because, for that half-hour or so, it's fun to imagine playing those songs on the guitar, and it feels like you are, even if in the slightest sense.
    But I'm still more than a few small steps away from being able to play "Three Blind Mice" on the guitar, much less "Enter Sandman."

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The failure of logic going on here is that Mizzou and his ilk act as if the thought process is "Hm. I want to play music. Should I
    A: learn to play guitar
    B: play Guitar Hero?"

The real thought process is: "Hey, I want to play a video game..."

Guitar Hero and Rock Band make for great party games. They are inclusive, allowing three or four people to play together, and short, allowing people to try different instruments or jump in or out frequently. It is simple enough in concept and easy enough in gameplay for anyone to pick it up, but can get very difficult. Each player can be on a different level and still play together, too.

All that said, the South Park issue on the subject was freaking fantastic. I hope this doesn't mean they'll stop development on Heroin Hero.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Saw Beatles Rock Band in the clearance bin at Target for $7.48 recently.

Was a little surprised it was that low, but it makes more sense now. I thought about buying it, but I don't have any of the Rock Band stuff. Just a GH guitar and I don't think the two are compatible.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Guitar Hero guitars are indeed compatible with Rock Band.... in fact, they're much easier to use than the ones that come with the Rock Band game.

As for Rock Band... the drums are like video game crack. I've got a decent sense of rhythm and have always wanted to learn to play the drums. Rock Band is as close as I've gotten... and it's freaking awesome.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The drums in either Rock Band or Guitar Hero are a good tool for actually learning how to play.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I would've bought it for $50, even $60.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven needed to rock out with its cock out

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Really enjoy these games. Can't argue with a franchise that had a game devoted to Metallica songs, and whose last entry included Rush's 2112 in its entirety.

And it really is a good party game.

But as the L.A. Times notes, this trend had its peak, and has fizzled.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/02/activision-guitar-hero-layoffs-call-of-duty-beachhead.html

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Me too, but only if I could complete the purchase at Best Buy. How does taking on $100 million in debt translate to Reward Zone points?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have no data to prove this, but I'm guessing that plenty of kids who would have learned to play guitar in another era got their fix through Rock Band this time around. Kind of like the kids who will play a baseball video game all day long but can't sit through an actual game.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Please. You're just pissed "Sister Christian" missed the Guitar Hero cut. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted