1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Guitar Hero

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Feb 10, 2011.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

NEW YORK — These days, guns are more popular than guitars, at least when it comes to video games. The company behind "Guitar Hero" said Wednesday that it is pulling the plug on one of the most influential video game titles of the new century.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/10/guitar-hero-gets-axed_n_821159.html

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Guitar Hero had to be near the top of the short list of dumbest things ever.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Obsessing over "Guitar Hero" is dumb. The game itself was incredibly fun party fare.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I actually really liked the series, but yes it was getting bland.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree. You want to learn to play the guitar? Learn to play guitar.

I'm flashing back to the South Park episode.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Really, though, what was Guitar Hero other than a) Dance Dance Revolution with your fingers or b) Simon set to music? I never got into it (primarily because I really sucked at the guitar thing, though I had better success with the drums), but it was a good party game.

Is the music game genre done and dusted, or will someone pick up the slack? Viacom sold Harmonix, which developed Rock Band, last month for $50 (and $100 million in debt load). Presumably the new owner will at least publish Rock Band 4, especially now that it appears to be the only musical insturment game in town.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Given how much they surely had to pay in music rights, I wonder how profitable these types of games are?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This has to be the main reason; not like they're having to pay royalties to Black Ops vets.

A bit surprised, none the less, as I figured GH was still percolating along pretty well. But I'm not much of a video gamer.

9. Mystery Meat II

Not only royalties (though they're also selling a lot of the music on a per-song basis through their online store, so it's not a total loss), but there's not much they can do to get people to buy the equipment or the new games, especially if you can still buy songs for the earlier version. There was a good bit of buzz about the keyboard on Rock Band 3, but that didn't really drive sales that much, I don't think. And at its core, it's the same game. Once they added drums and a microphone (Rock Band, Guitar Hero 2), there really isn't much left to do.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read something recently that said that some of the top video games are more profitable than some of the top films.

11. Mystery Meat II

I think I remember reading that Grand Theft Auto IV was a bigger grosser and more profitable than any movie released that year.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I really enjoyed Guitar Hero and Rockband. Didn't play often, but I had one game and I unlocked enough tracks to kill enough time here and there. I never played it instead of learning to play guitar. That's just silly.

Draft saved Draft deleted