1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Greg Giraldo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It helped that "Raymond" had David Letterman's production company behind it.

I remember during the Larry the Cable Guy roast, Jeff Foxworthy said something like, "you should always answer when you hear the sound of opportunity knocking. But in Greg Giraldo's case, opportunity was only knocking to ask directions to Carlos Mencia's house."

So true. RIP.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, comedians are having such tragedies happening more than the rock community. I wonder what it is about the life.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, CBS made the right decision obviously, but it lets you know how thin the line can sometimes be between being a great comic and being a household name who makes $2 million an episode.

ABC almost dumped Tim Allen when news of his coke arrest (years before) made the news. The big reason they kept him was that he had been upfront with them about it before it came out. They dump him and instead of making Toy Story and Santa Clause sequels for $20 mil a pop, he's working Thursday though Sunday at the Chuckle Hut.

4. I'll pour one out for my homie tonight.

5. Mizzougrad96

Whitney Cummings, who turned down the Natasha Leggero spot on Last Comic Standing, recently said on a podcast, "Look at Giraldo out there, he looks like he wants to kill himself."

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

See you there, man.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Gilbert tweeted the following:

If Greg Giraldo is cremated, does that make it the 'Greg Giraldo Roast'?

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

May this be his funeral:

9. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I was kind of disappointed they didn't do anything on the Daily Show about him tonight. If they did after the first 10 minutes, I didn't stick around to see it. Plus, I'm not sure what time they tape it, so perhaps the news wasn't out yet. It could have even been a re-run, I'm not entirely sure. I know it's not really Daily Show material, but as Comedy Central's signature nightly program it would have been nice to see.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Nice.

11. Mizzougrad96

I guarantee you it's being talked about on Stern this morning. I wonder if they said something on The Tonight Show, the guy did work for NBC. It also makes you wonder about who is famous enough to be mentioned and who isn't.

12. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

They did. Stewart closed the show with some words about Giraldo then used a little stand-up footage as the day's Moment of Zen.

Draft saved Draft deleted