1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Greg Cook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tripleoption34, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Billy Sims is another. Now he's nothing more than a braying jackass who tries to steal the show at every Heisman presentation.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I watched a video from a Conncinnati televison station and looked at the Cincinnati Enquirer coverage. The television station website quoted Bob Johnson, the former Bengal center, as saying Cook had a drinking problem and also said he would just disappear at times. The obituaries had no mention of any survivors though old Enquirer photos showed a wife and son in 1969. How was Cook doing? I get the feeling there is a backstory nobody wants to fully disclose.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't know what this says, but I was 9 years old when Greg Cook was a rookie with the Bengals and I remember him well. We didn't get many Bengals games televised in my town but he must have been on a lot of highlights. The stories seem to bear that out.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It says you're old, tony. :)

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You're right. I guess that makes me old old_tony.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Agree there's more to this story. Doesn't add up.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

r.i.p., greg. this guy was the real deal. we were robbed of seeing him in full bloom -- a tragic end to star qb just about to take hold of the nfl.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Me, too.
    My immediate reaction was to think of Cook, who I remember along with Durand "Rudy" Macklin and Dwayne Scales and so many others who were recruited by the legendary Dale Brown.

Ricky Blanton may be the one you are thinking of from LSU who died somewhat recently.

RIP to this Greg Cook.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wrong. I do believe Blanton's still with us.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Are you thinking of Don Redden?

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes....good catch.
    And good to see Ricky's still kickin'

Again, RIP to football's Greg Cook.
    Condolences to his family and friends.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted