1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gore Vidal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Aug 1, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

At 86.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/gore-vidal-dead-author-playwright-intellectual-obituary_n_1726666.html

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

For extra credit, explain the link between Gore Vidal and Lily Tomlin. No Google.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I hope to catch the celestial feed of his debate with William F. Buckley on gay marriage.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Will only say that "Burr" and "Lincoln" were wonderful historical novels, and way outside the voice and thoughts of Vidal the man. To me, that's a real novelist's work. RIP.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Isn't she a stepdaughter of his?......Another trivia......What former president was he a distant cousin of?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you can find them, and it'll take some doing, because they've been out of print for at least half a century, I heartily recommend three murder mysteries Vidal wrote under the pen name Edgar Box. Two of the titles were "Death in the Fifth Position" and "Death Likes It Hot." I forget the third title. Nice, light, breezy mysteries in which the first person narrator is about as different from Vidal as could be imagined.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Is the third "Death Before Bedtime?"

They are available as e-books in IBooks, and Vidal's name is now on the cover. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not even close.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Hearing about Vidal's death had me recalling a clip of "The Dick Cavett Show" I once saw, which ended with a memorable line from Cavett (which I thought he had said to Vidal, but actually Norman Mailer was on the receiving end). I just found it on YouTube. It was Cavett, Vidal, Mailer and writer Janet Flanner:

With all the shoutfests you see on the cable news channels these days, I was fascinated by how heated and childish, yet so intellectual, this four-way argument was.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

RIP Gore Vidal.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't wait until a prominent "birthed" idea, and the Times celebrates their life and intellect:

Draft saved Draft deleted