1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gordie Howe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 10, 2016.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Tremendous.

Batman and Rainman like this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Blinky," from Floral, Saskatchewan. Saw him play for Detroit in 1970-71, near the end of the first stage of his career. To score 800 goals in the era he played the majority of his career in is a remarkable achievement.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Since he's a hockey player, I guess that means he missed one shift?

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am not a huge hockey guy so avoid a lot of Canadian sports radio but have absolutely loving all of the Howe stories that are being told today.

Ron McLean has been awesome.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. It was just a flesh wound.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's Johnny Out of Football to you.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Last Friday Ali died, he was on the cover of SI in Feb of 1974
    This past Friday Howe died, he was on the cover of SI in March of 1974
    I'd be worried if I was Pete Rose or Gary Player this Friday.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's probably a lot of people Olberman's worked with over the years who are wishing Howe would have been a little more emphatic with his demonstrations.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Gordie had two Gordie Howe hat tricks. He didn't fight as much as people believe but when he did? Watch out.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Funeral is on NHL Network right now. Some great stories from his son Murray to start.

My then newly-wed wife was walking through the mall in 2004. She is not a hockey fan, but saw an old guy selling a book and had it autographed for me, knowing I would like it.
    I love that she did this, but I was really disappointed that she didn't tell me about it until a month later when she gave me the book for my birthday. I would have raced to the mall to get to meet Mr. Hockey.

I did see him a few times, but almost always in a crowded situation or while I was working, so I never did get to actually talk to him, but the autograph saying Happy Birthday Spike, # 27 from Gordie Howe, #9, was pretty neat.

I Should Coco and Liut like this.
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agree that was a very moving funeral. Neat story too, Spike. RIP Mr. Hockey.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

One of the best stories ever when Marty and Gordie were on the ice during a brawl. Gordie's fight ended and Marty was getting beat up. So Gordie went over and told the guy Marty was fighting that it was over. The guy basically told Gordie to go fuck himself. So Gordie took his index finger and middle finger, put them in the guy's nostrils and lifted him off Marty!

spikechiquet and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted