1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Glen Bell (Taco Bell founder)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WolvEagle, Jan 18, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

Bummer.....

Wonder how much Taco Bell food SportsJournalists.com nation has consumed over the years?
    --------

From The Associated Press
    RANCHO SANTA FE, Calif. - Glen W. Bell Jr., an entrepreneur best known as the founder of the Taco Bell chain, has died. He was 86.
    Bell died Sunday at his home in Rancho Santa Fe, according to a statement posted Monday on the Taco Bell Web site.
    The Irvine-based company did not release a cause of death.
    "Glen Bell was a visionary and innovator in the restaurant industry, as well as a dedicated family man," Greg Creed, president of Taco Bell, said in the statement.
    Bell launched his first restaurant, called Bell's Drive-In, in 1948 in San Bernardino after seeing the success of McDonald's. His restaurant sought to take advantage of Southern California's car culture by serving hamburgers and hot dogs through drive-in windows.
    The World War II veteran next helped establish Taco Tias in Los Angeles, El Tacos in the Long Beach area, and Der Wienerschnitzel, a national hot dog chain.
    Bell launched Taco Bell in 1962 in Downey after cutting ties with his business partners and quickly expanding around Los Angeles.
    He sold the first Taco Bell franchise in 1964. In 1978, Bell sold his 868 Taco Bell restaurants to PepsiCo for $125 million in stock.
    Taco Bell is now owned by Yum! Brands and is the largest Mexican fast-food chain in the nation, serving more than 36.8 million consumers each week in more than 5,600 U.S. locations.
    Bell is survived by his wife, Martha, three sisters, two sons and four grandchildren.
    A private funeral is planned.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess I'll have to have a Chalupa in his honor on the way home today.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Guess Heaven quieren Taco Bell

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Heaven got high, found $1.27 in the couch cushions and wanted something to eat.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

That made me laugh really hard.

BTW, where does God keep the Pepto?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Heaven needed the shits.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I've eaten tons of Taco Bell food thru the years.
    RIP, Mr. Bell.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Evidence that the Taco Bell diet has some bad side effects.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thinking outside the coffin. RIP.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

HE DOESN'T EVEN NEED THE EDGE![/crossthread]

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I never knew the chain was named for a person.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good thing Mr. Hugger didn't found the franchise.

Draft saved Draft deleted