1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Glamour Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

1. "Glamour" is the Anglicized (sorry, Anglicised) spelling, which for what I'd guess to be a large segment of its readership connoted class. By comparison, "Glamor" would be downmarket, if not outright trashy.

2. Tina Brown saved the New Yorker in the 1990s, as it plodded its way through dense 15,000-word pieces on the Trilateral Commission, etc. In addition to broadening its brief, she also brought in color (colour?) and a more modern layout.

3. If we were to look at all of the careers and ad boosts that Trump has (unintentionally) wrought, from sustainable spikes in subs and circ for the NYT to Stephen Colbert's ratings, it would equal the GDP of a small nation.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

On number 2, I'd say it is a bit more complicated than "Tina Brown saved the New Yorker." She was the biggest celebrity, big ego editor at the time those kinds of editors could still have fiefdoms. But the economics of magazines were already changing, and in the case of the New Yorker, she lived ridiculously large, even by the standards of a Newhouse magazine. She spent like crazy. It was great for the young writers she brought in, because they earned really well. But the magazine itself lost a lot of money with her as the editor, and it was an issue.

In terms of where the New Yorker is today, though, she really changed things there and brought in a lot of new talent to replace some of the stodgy older writers who were hanging on. And many of them built the magazine into what it has become now. Even after she left, David Remnick really benefited from the talent she had brought in. She brought Remnick in, himself.

This is a matter of opinion, but I think Remnick did as much, or more, to save the magazine than she did. He has a sensibility she didn't, and can run something in a way more profitable manner. For everything she did, too, she had dumbed down the magazine a bit for some people's tastes, and I thought Remnick made it slightly smarter again. But, yeah, when you look at many of the people who became mainstays for the magazine, from Remnick, to Jane Mayer to Anthony Lane to Malcom Gladwell (whatever you think of what he turned into) and lots of others, it was Tina Brown who recognized the talent and hired them. So I get what you were saying.

3. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

To use a taxonomy that Gladwell might appreciate, Brown was the disrupter ("disruptor" in NYer spellings) while Remnick has been the incrementaler, building on what she wrought. Brown did spend like mad, but now and then you need that kind of crazy. I'm glad they didn't take away her AmexPlat card too soon. We could use more talented crazy. Instead, we get Vice.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Tina Brown deserves credit for breathing life into two very old, grand antiques. She managed to drag both Vanity Fair and The New Yorker out of the 1950s and into the 1980s. This she did in the 1990s.

But Newhouse was the one writing the checks.

Left to her own devices, and with an unlimited budget, Ms. Brown created Talk, one of the great modern magazine failures.*

*rivaled only by Portfolio, overseen by . . . Newhouse.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My wife still got Glamour. When they changed the logo and changed tone earlier in 2018, I figured it was a last-gasp effort to save the magazine.

6. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I suppose George will have to find something else to entice him to treat his body like an amusement park.

Draft saved Draft deleted