1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP George McGovern

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Long-time Senator and 1972 Democratic presidential nominee dead at 90:

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

A fundamentally kind and decent man who devoted his life to feeding the poor and helping others.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Sad. Weird to think that he lived a pretty full life - served in World War 2, rose in politics - and then spent almost the second half of it being the man who lost quite decisively in 1972.
  4. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP. He took a hard ass whippin politically but was still very much respected.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We talked about this on another thread, so I thought this was interesting:

David Grann ‏@DavidGrann

George McGovern's obit written by reporter whose own obit already appeared @nytimes http://nyti.ms/RMMLgd http://nyti.ms/Rbvi3m via@jswatz
  6. Liut

Liut Active Member

Saw him spar with William Buckley at a mid-1990s, university-sponsored, quasi-debate.

RIP to a man with the courage to follow his convictions.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

A good and decent man who fought for our nation and followed what he believed to be true. What I'm struck by most is that he had to bury two of his adult children. Can't imagine that.
  8. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

He took a whipping from the stick of Tricky Dick. A hickory stick, people.
  9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

When he was running, my dad always called him "McGroover."
  10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If the NCAA was involved, that presidential election would have been vacated after the Watergate scandal broke.

Zeke12 summed up McGovern. I generally dislike politicians, but I've read enough on McGovern to think he was a good man.
  11. McGovern had a child out of wedlock and the Nixon people knew this but never used it in 1972. Hunter Thompson knew it too but never mentioned it in his Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail. It was a different time then when even a guy nicknamed "Tricky Dick" wouldn't use a piece of info like that.

McGovern was a thoroughly decent man. May he rest in peace.
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When your VP has elctro shock therapy, and this in the era of Cuckoo's Nest, they didn't even need that tidbit to pull a huge win.
Draft saved Draft deleted