1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP George Kimball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Glenn Stout, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

We should not, cannot, let George go without hearing the music of Charlie Pierce.....this from Charlie's blog at the Globe....

In the winter of 1978-79, I moved to Boston and began work at The Boston Phoenix. One day, early in my tenure there, I happened by the late lamented Eliot Lounge -- This would become something of a pattern. -- and met George Kimball, the newspaper's sports columnist, for the first time. I had heard that George had been somewhat instrumental in getting me my chance at the Phoenix after I had been canned from my previous job for disagreeing with my editor's assessment of his own talents. (He didn't think he was a complete dolt. Who knew?) I sputtered out my thanks, not noticing at first that George's head was on the bar. I continued to babble without verbs for a while until George opened up his one actual eye and said, "Hey, got any speed?"

With that, more or less, a 30-year friendship began.

He was wild and profane and an absolute old maid about the rules of golf. He loved Ireland like a native, even though his given name -- George Edward Kimball III, for the love of god! -- made him sound like the last, lost Plantagenet. He drank beer, smoked unfiltered Luckies, and was a strict vegetarian. At a newspaper full of cranks and eccentrics, which is what once made the Phoenix great (ask around, kidz), he was the undisputed king of them all. On the day he quit, I was the only person in the office. He dragooned me to the Park Plaza at nine in the morning, bribed the guy to open the bar, and we stayed there until 3, when he walked down the hall, bought a ticket to Palm Beach, and went directly to the airport without telling me he was gone.

He knew and loved boxing far more than boxing ever deserved to be known and loved. One of his final projects was to put an anthology of classic boxing writing together with the great John Schulian. It is called "At The Fights" and you should buy it today, in his memory and for your own great pleasure.

I could never reconcile all the contradictions and I'm not sure we are ever meant to do so. I am not sure I will ever figure out all of him, but I do know that I miss him already the way that you miss a summer twilight on an edged February evening. I owed him just as much when he passed on Wednesday as I did that afternoon in the Eliot.

Farewell, my friend.
    As the auld ones say, we knew the two days.

2. I was bellied up to the bar at the Eliot Lounge in the process of being overserved by Tommy Leonard when George sat next to me. As a student at BU, I read George all of the time, but this was my first time meeting him. I told him I was a fan and we began to chat about writing, boxing and golf. For the next few hours, he told me countless stories, most of which I believed. I excused myself for a trip to the men's room and when I returned, George was gone. I asked Tommy for my check and received a shake of the head. "George got it," Tommy said. "He said, 'Any kid that knows Ron Lyle's best fights, deserves a few beers."

Godspeed, George. Thanks ...

Draft saved Draft deleted