1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP George Jones

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Friends of my dad at one time were neighbors of George and Tammy in Florida at about that time. I heard stories of at least one domestic altercation.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

George was one of those country stars whose personal issues makes one wonder why we hold rap stars so accountable for their personal lives, relatively speaking. R.I.P. to an artist who, along with Tammy, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, Porter Waggoner and others whom I'm sure I'm missing, was a big part of country making its first foray into the mainstream in the 1960s.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Although he sang drinking songs the difference is George sang with regret about his own personal failings and not glorifying slappin bitches and wanting you to watch him superman a ho.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven needed a wife beater

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pretty much leaves Willie and Merle among the all-time great male country singers of the 60s/70s era.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You can't get high smoking alcoholic ashes.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Money quote: "If you saw me sober in the 70s, I was asleep." The lawnmower story was hilarious. And to do it twice? Awesome.

I'm glad he cleaned up his act and was able to enjoy some sober success. RIP, Possum.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yabba dabba do. The King is gone, and so are you.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"She was hotter than a two-dollar pistol, she was the fastest thing around.
    Young and lean, every young boy's dream, she turned every head in town."

Love that song.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

James Taylor sampling "She Thinks I Still Care": "This is a song George Jones did. He did it so good it makes you weep. It'll make your dog weep. It'll make your roof leak to hear this song."

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

He Stopped Downing Shots Today.

Draft saved Draft deleted