1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP George Carlin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This very day, I was in the car with the XM standup comedy channel on, and a Carlin riff came on. About the time he was going off about how in the hell a flight attendant can say "welcome to x" when she just got there along with you, I turned to my wife and said, "Goddamn Carlin's good."

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Hahahahahaha. Good point.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Back in the mid-1980s, Carlin had a list of things to do to keep people on their toes.

Awesome. Funny as shit.

And I have in fact backed out of a drive-in bank. ;D

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

damn damn damn. Arnold is right: Carnegie Hall was brilliant. He was the first stand-up comedian I ever watched. I remember we'd riff on his routines in junior high, more enamored with the curse words than the actual content, which we didn't really get til we were older.

Got to see him in high school when he came to my hometown. Had front row seats thanks to my best friend's mom. Bought the shirt and t-shirt that read the 2,357 (or something like that) dirty words. That poster accompanied me to college and remained on my dorm room wall until the day I left. Need another word for vagina? Look to the wall for instant hilarity.

Damn. As others said, there will never, not ever, be another comedian who even approaches his societal impact, not in this era of corporate correctness.

RIP.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

ARRE YOUUUU OPENNNN ON THURRRRRRRRRSDAY??????????????

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

All I have to say is this:

Shit, piss, fuck, c***, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits.

RIP.

7. ArnoldBabar

"Five minutes ago she's telling you to put your tray table up and now suddenly she's the goddamn mayor's wife?"

8. ArnoldBabar

Don't forget the addendum: Fart, turd and twat.

9. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Will be missed, but never fogotten. Must re-read Braindroppings now.

"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
    "The only good thing to come out of religion was the music."
    "Hard work is for people short on talent."

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My personal favorite will always be his album "What Am I doing in New Jersey?" For starters, it was the very first HBO special of his that I ever saw, at the age of 12. I thought then that the material on driving an things to keep people on their toes were piss your pants funny. I think today that it was the perfect blend of the more recent, politically motivated Carlin and the past, fluke things that go through your mind rendition.

And I've wished since that night in Sept., 1988 that I was 1/10th as funny as the man.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome. I was just thinking of that one.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Precisely. His bit about the "boarding" planes, etc., had me in stitches.

Michaelangelo had paint, Mozart had a piano, Carlin had the English language.

Too much hyperbole? Not to me. He revolutionized his craft as much as those other two.

Draft saved Draft deleted