1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP George Carlin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jun 23, 2008.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

AP just moved over a newsalert.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Damn. :'(

I had the pleasure of seeing him perform once. He came to the small city I live in and I couldn't believe it.

I was thisclose to buying Dogma yesterday.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fuck. Fuck fuckity fuck.

Carlin was a goddamn genius. His HBO special at Carnegie Hall might be the greatest single standup session ever put on film. His humor was a huge part of my life growing up, and I probably say some little thing from his act, or just a simple phrase with his inflection, several times a day. We just have a similar worldview.

He lived longer than I (or he) would have expected, but it still sucks.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Reuters moved a story that's on Yahoo! ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/us_nm/carlin_dc

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RI-fucking P. A legend.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

He could manipulate the English language into comedy like nobody else. He took the words and phrases we say every day and broke them down and showed us how silly and trite they are.

I hope no news account used the term "passed away." Carlin would have hated that.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

A legend. LOVED his standup at Carnegie Hall. RIP. :-\

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

It's putting a smile on my face right now thinking of what George must be saying right now if there is indeed an afterlife.

God: "George, let's take a look at your life."

GC: "Wait a fucking minute. You let me perform for 50 years and didn't say a single word about this shit? Hey, fuck you man."

Of course, if he had his way, he's be somewhere on the sun right now. :)

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

To paraphrase one of his routines...He now gives less than a shit about the sanctity of life.

My two favorites, Carlin and Hicks, are now gone.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And he died just as this presidential race was about to heat up. George may have just learned there is a God after all. For as funny as he was, he did look somewhat frail in his latest HBO special. Here's hoping Sirius or HBO does a marathon of his stuff.

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Quick vote - How many of you ever sat there watching one of his routines, and kept asking every time, "HOW DOES THIS MAN COME UP WITH THIS STUFF???"

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Better
    Better yet, who sat there thinking, "I thought I was the only one who noticed this shit?"

Draft saved Draft deleted