1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP George Carlin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jun 23, 2008.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

One thing about Carlin: No standup comedian's work translated to print as well as his did. His books are hilarious.

RIP to an American original.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I kid you not when I say that I'm about halfway through reading Brain Droppings for the second time, and it's classic stuff.

I mean, yeah, he lived past 70 and we should all be so lucky, but this sucks ass man.

Well, I hope they find a place to put his stuff. :)

3. lono

lono Active Member

Beat me to it. RIP, indeed.

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I just heard it on the radio and then saw it was on E!'s website. I don't think the publicist broke it until about 12.

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Man. I'm just stunned.

I'll just say this - I always liked the man for his no-holds-barred, everyone's fair game, approach to comedy. Sure, he'd step on my toes a little with some stuff he poked fun about, but then he'd also offer up commentary on some stuff that left me sobbing. Like saying we should use the words "cornhole" and "dingleberry" more often. I loved him cause he never was P.C., I loved him cause many times he was very on target, and I loved him cause he kept finding new, odd things to ridicule and talk about.

There will never be another like him. Ever.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Because we're a sports journalism site:

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I saw him perform this
    in Vegas. The show I saw was one of the first times he ran through it. He was prepping for this HBO special. It was AWESOME live, even though he slipped up a few times.

He was one fucking angry man. And I loved it.

Here's another piece from the show:

And another part:

Jesus, this man is angry.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fuck, fuck, fuck. My all-time favorite comedian.

Anybody see anything on the wire yet? Trying to rip up a page here ...

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Still not on AP.
    Can't they confirm it?
    No story on Reuters too.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Your sentiments -- and your premonition -- are dead-on nails, Trey.

Put aside the fact that he was a comedic genius of the first order. Any way you care to define the term, George Carlin was one of the seminal social commentators of the 20th and early 21st centuries.

His evisceration of everything from the hypocrisy of the anti-drug movement to the double-standard of the media to the abomination of George W. Bush's presidency was brilliant, biting and absolutely hysterical.

I was fortunate enough to see his stand-up routine in 1991. Before my wife and I were married, we'd always go to Vegas at least once or twice a year. And it seemed we'd always miss Carlin by about a week either way.

Before Thing 1 and Thing 2 came along, we kept the Vegas tradition going. Lo and behold, in '91, Carlin was playing Bally's when we were there.

We couldn't get there fast enough. The best part was we had some of our friends along on that trip. So about 8 of us had dinner at the Italian restaurant at Bally's, then saw Carlin.

Worth. Every. Dollar. One of the best stand-ups I've ever seen.

RIP to someone who Got. It.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I saw a Reuters story picked up on MSN.com. Short one, but a story nonetheless.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I hope he's with his wife, Brenda, again, though based on his recent work, he didn't believe they'd be reunited someday.

Draft saved Draft deleted