1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP George Blanda

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Sep 27, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Heard Bears were already going with the throwback jerseys tonite. Bizarre if true.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

George Blanda was good in The C....o, never mind. He no doubt good at wherever the Cougars play now. And his 1970 heroics is definitely one of the most compelling sports stories of the second half of the 20th. R.I.P.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Bud Adams treats the Titans as an extension of the Oilers. The retired numbers are still retired and, IIRC, there are things that honor former great Oilers around the stadium, so I could see the Titans doing something. Oddly, Titan fans will probably be more likely to remember Blanda as a Raider than an Oiler.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's where I know him from too. And you're right, he did seem larger to life to this 6-year old.

He and Tom Dempsey both.

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

Blanda played for two of the game's all-time greatest coaches -- Bear Bryant at Kentucky and George Halas in Chicago.

RIP to one of the NFL's all-time greats, and certainly the greatest footballer in my alma mater's history.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep -- tonight, and against the Vikes.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good. Maybe he'll be elected King of the World wherever he's going.

RIP to a enduring character and an always-great reference in any NFL history publication.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Blanda was 15 years older than Dick Butkus, and was still playing in the NFL two years after Butkus retired. I know he was mostly just a kicker at the end, but that's still pretty amazing.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Excellent Bill King reference! We lived in the blackout zone when I was growing up, so heard all his heroics from the Coliseum on the radio. Holy toldedo!

RIP

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

John Madden wasn't exactly chopped liver, either.

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

When I was a teenager, I had a real love for 1960s football (this was in the early 90s). George Blanda played a big part of that, and it's why I modeled my straight-ahead kick after him.

I read the Wells Twombley book on him multiple times (came out in '72, I think) and have a couple old SIs with him on the cover. That he won five straight games in 1970 was a huge deal back then, and rightfully so.

Oct. 25: Threw three touchdowns after Daryle Lamonica gets injured, beats Steelers.
    Nov. 1: Hits 48-yard field goal on last play to tie Chiefs.
    Nov. 8: Throws tying TD with 1:34 left against Browns and then kicks winning field goal with 3 seconds left.
    Nov. 15: Throws TD to Fred Biletnikoff with 2:28 left to beat Broncos
    Nov. 22: Kicks 16-yard field goal with 8 seconds left to beat Chargers

I'm not home but Tuesday I will upload a MNF clip so those who haven't seen him before can do so.

12. Crash

Crash Active Member

Good point.

Draft saved Draft deleted