1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Geoff Sindelar (WTAM-Cleveland)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sad. Just saw this.
    http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=cincinnati&sParam=33131961.story
    Sindelar was a good sports guy on the radio in Cleveland — no bluster, screaming for screaming's sake, and was pretty damned sharp. And to see he was only 62... damn.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy shit. I just gasped at this. I grew up listening to Sindelar on Three-W-E. I had no idea WWWE didn't exist any more.

Wow. RIP, Professor.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Bubbler and I were both big fans of his show when we were living in Northeast Ohio in the early 90s, he was one of the best.

RIP, Geoff.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He'd get pissed on air, but couldn't swear, so he'd say weird shit like, "that makes me madder than a bag of snakes!"

I will dump out a beer at Swingo's in his honor. RIP.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Had to go looking for some classic Professor work. Seems, he was putting some thoughts out to the www back in 07-08. Here he is talking about a college football playoff. Heard his voice, and I was instantly a kid back in Mansfield.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/dketterick/videos/3/

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Big fan of Geoff's in the late 80s early 90s (3WE had such a strong signal we got it in Pittsburgh). Met him once when I was in Cleveland for an Indians - Mariners game in 1993. Tremendously nice man who was giving me advice on unloading some 30 year old baseball cards. That being said, Geoff smoked about two packs a day and, back then, went about 300 pounds. That said, RIP to a very sincere and and funny guy. I'm sure "Mr. Bengal" weeps.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I used to tune him in for the 10th Inning afte Indians games. This was pre-Jacobs Field, pre Gateway project being approved and everyone was still debating whether or not building the stadium would help this team. Guy calls in and said. "It can work. People show up for winners. And when that boy is pissin', place is packed." Geoff dumps the call, dead silence foe a couple of seconds and finally says, "you guys hear that too?" then busts out laughing.

Sindelar was the first sports talk show I ever really got hooked on, along with the old Costas Coast to Coast, which was broadcast Sunday nights from 9-midnight, I believe.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

His oft-used line about cards, autographs, etc.: "That's a good item!"

RIP, Professor.

Draft saved Draft deleted