1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP GeoCities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 23, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And if you're one of the 12 people left whose homepage is still there, consider archiving it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/163765/so_long_geocities_we_forgot_you_still_existed.html

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I had my first Web page on Geocities.

RIP.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Saw the article this afternoon. Can't believe Yahoo spent $4 BILLION on GeoCities 10 years ago.

We should save this because there may become a time when Facebook or another site becomes the e-equivalent of an antique.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven needed someone to be a prick about hot-linking.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I still have a geocities site for resume purposes. Their home page says it won't be closed down until sometime later this year and that they'll provide instructions for archiving later this summer. Presumably they'll open up FTP - once a free service - for a while so folks like myself can grab everything that's on there easily.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And by "may" you mean "absolutely will" and "time" you mean "within a couple of years."

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Abe Vigoda's home page is on Geocities.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Perhaps. I think the advertising revenue stream makes Facebook's chances for staying around a little better.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Shit... Our track page was on geocities. All the school records, meet results since 1997.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Didn't Geocities have some huge USFL archive page? Team helmets, year-by-year stats, everything. It was frighteningly comprehensive.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They're getting there, but the bandwidth and server costs for a site like that are huge, and the ad revenue isn't getting there. They are running through venture capital fast and furious.

They do seem to know that the moment the ads become too onerous, someone will replace them with an ad-free version, so they are keeping it pretty non-invasive.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Now that's funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted