1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP. Gates Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 27, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'll always remember the back of his baseball card with the little cartoon drawing noting that he was Hawaiian.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Did it show a map of Hawaii?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, because neither of them were name-dropped in one of the most famous comedy films of its era or involved in the best David-and-Goliath baseball story of the last 60 years.

But I would argue that someone like Francisco Cabrera is quite celebrated for his pinch-hitting — granted, we're talking about one famous pinch hit here — but with 108 of his 374 career plate appearances coming as a pinch-hitter, he fits the definition a lot better than Manny Mota.

Hell, just on the Braves alone in the last few years, Eric Hinske, Brooks Conrad and now Evan Gattis have been celebrated specifically for their pinch-hitting exploits. Other teams have their own celebrated pinch-hitters, too, like Matt Stairs with the Phillies for a few years.

But I'll let y'all get back to your nostalgia now. 8)

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was because Burgess / Mota / Brown stood out because they were unique. I can't recall any other teams that had dedicated pinch hitter.

I grew up watching Yankee baseball and it was always a big deal to the announcers
    when Brown or Burgess would grab a bat. Burgess looked like he was out of another
    baseball era.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Tony Taylor did an outstanding job as a pinch hitter for the Phillies. Danny Heep and Denny Walling weren't too shabby for the Astros.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Always think of Taylor more as "utility player" .

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mota was almost exclusively a PH for the last eight years of his career. Like Burgess, he was a guy who was kept on a ML roster into his 40s just to get the occasional pinch hit. That's why he's remembered for pinch hitting.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hinske I'll grant you, but he played quite a bit in the outfield during his Braves tenure because of injuries to other players. And Conrad lasted only one year with Atlanta --- and quickly washed out of the majors altogether --- specifically because he couldn't field. Gattis only made the team because of McCann's injury, and has been more-or-less a full-time player all year.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't think so.

Matter of fact, now I know it didn't.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But some of those guys were average or above average fielders. Harris could play a few positions and Vander Wal was a solid OF. Guys like Kranepool and Staub, especially at the end of the careers, were there just for their bats. Don't have the stats, but I would think they more often pinch hit and didn't remain in the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted