1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gary Richrath (REO)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 15, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

REO had one truly awesome song (Golden Country) and a whole lot of dreck on their resume, but, yes, Rickrath could play. RIP

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

1981 is the dividing line for REO. Before that, it was honest-to-God midwestern rock 'n' roll. After 1980-81, they went pop and, though they had great commercial success, it got really schlocky.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

County Fairs around the country will never be the same. I accidentally purchased You Can Tuna A Piano from the record club and I don't think I played it more than once. I did however clean a lot of weed on it in college. RIP

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the Tuna a Piano Tune a Fish album. 'Lucky for You' as a deep cut beyond the album's more famous numbers,

The live You Get What You Play For is still a fine listen today--'Keep Pushin', 'Son of A Poor Man', '157 Riverside Avenue', 'Music Man', among others.

Richrath had been on the outs or ousted for many years now as Kevin Cronin assumed control of the band.

Always felt the turning point for REO was "Time For Me To Fly". Beautiful power rock ballad that Cronin seemed to be able to re-invent formulaically, which begat 'Take It On The Run' and 'Keep On Loving You', which begat 'I Can't Fight This Feeling', etc. A long way from 'Golden Country' for sure.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Power rock ballads were the bane of the 80's and early 90's. Thank God for grunge.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

REO, I felt, went to the power ballad well way too often, but I always figured I could cherry pick some songs from their catalog and make at least one good "album" (or playlist) out of it.

To me, the dichotomy of the band really showed in "Keep on Loving You," which had the opening piano notes telegraphing that this was going to be another syrupy ballad, but then Richrath's guitar work on the song, especially the opening power chords, salvaged the song for me. There was nothing he could do to save the later "Can't Fight This Feeling," though.

FWIW, when the news of his death came out, a couple of stories included recent photos of him. Man, he did not look good at all. But RIP to a strong musician.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I always loved the keyboard part during the bridge of this song.

But, fuck the 1980s.

Bands or artists like REO, Styx, Chicago, Steve Winwood and even Bruce sold their souls to sappy bullshit glossed over syrup. The music of the 80s was just a shit sandwich.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with "Roll With The Changes".

This is one of my fave REO songs:

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm gonna let "the music of the '80s was just a shit sandwich" hang in the air, like a cheap pinata, a little longer.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

For someone who owns a shitload of music (probably more than 700 CDs) I have never owned a single thing REO Speedwagon. Then again, I didn't have back when they were popular because you couldn't walk from one end of my dorm hall to the other without hearing their music coming out of at least three different rooms.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The '80s were great if you went for alternative music.

Draft saved Draft deleted