1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gary David Goldberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jun 24, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=814819

Gary David Goldberg, creator of 80s sitcom "Family Ties" has died from cancer. His show was one of the big hits of the 80s and helped propel Michael J. Fox into stardom. Too bad they don't have those kind of shows now. Wish they did. RIP

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

RIP...

I agree that they don't make shows like that anymore, at least not on the networks...

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Nice remembrance by Ike Barinholtz of the Mindy project.

http://t.co/FjG2LOCT7o

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Sit, Ubu, sit.

5. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

What do you mean they don't make shows like that?

6. Mizzougrad96

Family-friendly comedies on the networks? Shows you can watch with your kids? There are a few that are borderline and most of those, young kids wouldn't understand.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep. The first hour of prime time used to be something the whole family could watch together. Now, whether it's Friends or How I Met Your Mother, you wouldn't dare show it to a kid younger than high school.

8. Mizzougrad96

Disney Channel has some decent ones... I've heard there are a few on ABC Family that are OK, but I haven't seen them.

I can't think of a single decent scripted show on the big four networks that I would want my kids to watch.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That is as nice a tribute as there can be to exemplify what a good person he was.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I think you hit it right on the head, Mizzou. The family-friendly sitcoms are all on the Disney and ABC Familys of the world, and that's the channels that the kids, especially the "tweens," always watch. I really think the networks have surrendered that demographic and used it as an excuse to put on more adult-oriented fare.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Does that mean we've come full circle? First cable channels had all the edgier stuff. Now the networks are ceding the family-friendly programming to the cable channels and trying to be the place for edgy stuff.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those family-friendly sitcoms are aimed ONLY at teens or younger kids, though. Very difficult for grown-ups to want to sit down and watch that too. I've tried, and there's just no grown-up level to them. And that was the genius of that genre, that the whole family could get something out of it.

Anyway, that's something of a tangent to the thread, which is about the guy being very successful and still a decent human being. Not always the combo you find. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted