1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Fresno Falcons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dieditor, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

The NHL itself was hit hard during the Depression and the war, shrinking from 10 teams to six. And it just barely held on to two of those six - the Canadiens and the Rangers were on very thin ice (no pun intended).

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

How's the WOAA making out? You should be the commissioner of that loop.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Twenty-one teams, and parity out the ying-yang. Four points separate first from sixth place in the North Division. Seven points separate first from sixth in the South. And the two teams that jumped in this year from the OHA are only second and fourth in the South. :)

http://www.woaasrhockey.com/standings.htm

Apparently there are plans to continue to expand throughout the southern part of the province.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have a buddy in the Bakersfield front office and he told me this was imminent three weeks ago. He also said that Fresno ran its organization in a terrible manner and it didn't surprise him they were going to fold.

He said as far as West Coast teams go, no other ones are in danger of folding.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When do Nottawasaga and Thedford play? Should be a donnybrook.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Unfortunately, there hasn't been any cross-divisional play during the regular season for the past couple of years.

But I'm sure it was a barn-burner earlier in December when previously winless Milverton beat Thedford 7-4.

I'm not actually sure how Thedford keeps going. The Dirty Dogs are in their third season and their all-time record to date is 0-62-0-1 with 165 goals for and 547 goals against - a candidate for our worst-team thread.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Richmond used to be an AHL town. Then it got the Southern Hockey League, then the ECHL, then the UHL and now it is in something called - I think - the Southern Professional Hockey League. I think there's two teams in it because they seem to play the same team every game. Well, maybe three. They play Fayetteville and Knoxville a lot. I haven't been but I'm told the level is pretty low.
    I don't think the players make very much money, which might be how they survive.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

The SPHL is at least two levels below the ECHL.

Draft saved Draft deleted