1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Fresno Falcons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dieditor, Dec 22, 2008.

1. dieditor

dieditor Member

...second for the ECHL in about a month, as the Fresno Falcons cease operations.

This sucks for me, as they are the arch-rivals of my favorite team, the Bakersfield Condors. I hate to see a rivalry end.
  2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You could always throw out the records when the Condors and Falcons dropped the puck.
  3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

And throw down the gloves!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Will goalies around the ECHL grab the water bottles off the net and pour them out in tribute?
  5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm totally stealing that!
  6. dieditor

dieditor Member

No kidding. That rivalry had everything you want in minor league hockey: line brawls, throwing sticks/water bottles, coaches yapping at each other, drunk fans beating the shit out of each other and getting arrested...like Slap Shot without the loud sport coats.

Serious worry for a league to lose two teams in three weeks though. Wonder what will happen when baseball season rolls out, with more minor league and more teams.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Pretty much thought the EAST Coast Hockey League was in trouble when it had teams in Fresno, Alaska, Idaho, etc., etc.
  8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Guess this means more people lose their jobs. Sad.
  9. dieditor

dieditor Member

Local TV in Fresno reported 35 front-office jobs lost, and a lot of season ticket holders wanting refunds and not sure if they will get them.

Funny thing about the East Coast Hockey League is that some of the western teams do very well. Stockton leads the league in attendance and hosted the last All-Star Game. Bakersfield averages 6,300 a night, and a new building in Ontario is packed. Guess it depends on the market and ownership.
  10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Idaho does really well. Most weekend games are sellouts, etc. Too bad to see another team close up shop.
  11. It's not called the East Coast Hockey League anymore, for obvious reasons. Just ECHL.

Fresno was in first place, I believe.
  12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Word on the street is that Dayton, Cincinnati and Wheeling might be next.
Draft saved Draft deleted