1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Freddie Solomon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 13, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ragu noted it was probably just the Tampa connection. Makes sense now. "Bucs family" just seemed a bit odd.

Read a tidbit today that Solomon put those old QB skills to use in 1985 when he stayed after practice to throw to Rice, the rookie. In other words he helped train his replacement. Classy.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Holy shit.

RIP.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Solomon's QB stint recalled:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/13/SP5Q1N78I4.DTL

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of my favorite players as a kid. I remember thinking it was really cool when he wore his black shoes.
    RIP.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

University of Tampa was the Boise State of the early 70's. In today's ESPN world they would have been everywhere. In 1975 The Dolphins drafted Tampa Players 1/2 Darryl Carlton/ Freddie Solomon.
    The other notable Tampa player - John Matuszak

RIP Freddie

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Another notable Tampa player in that era was Paul Orndorff, who later became WWF superstar Mr. Wonderful.

Always had an affinity for Solomon. Even though I lived 2,000 miles from San Francisco, I got swept up in 49er fever after their first Super Bowl win. Asked for a Dwight Clark jersey (No. 87) for my birthday. All my mom could find was a Freddie Solomon (88). Still, I wore that thing til it practically unraveled.

7. Steak Snabler

Nice obit in the San Francisco Chronicle, with comments from several old teammates:

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/02/14/freddie-solomon-1953-2012-a-receiver-on-the-field-a-giver-off-it/

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was his last game the Super Bowl win over the Dolphins?

9. Steak Snabler

No, he played in 1985, which was Rice's rookie year. So his last NFL game would have been the wild-card playoff loss to the Giants.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Makes me sad. As a lifelong 49ers fan I remember him as one of the best.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I hear his name in Pat Summerall's voice. Very sad news.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

As can I.

Draft saved Draft deleted