1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Fred Turner (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Albom submits a tribute column:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110417/COL01/104170514/Mitch-Albom-Farewell-to-the-man-who-gave-me-my-start?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

2. gordon edes

gordon edes New Member

I haven't visited here since Freddie died, so it's so good to read all the wonderful things being said about him. What a character...I thought his greatest gift, besides his obvious eye for talent, was the way he trusted his people. He put people in a position to succeed, then watched with pride when we delivered on his belief in us. I can't imagine working for a boss with less ego....or one who hated answering his phone more (He could not have functioned without Bonnie). If there was one thing I could wish for, it's that Freddie, as much as he loved baseball, would have come and hung out at the pressbox more. I honestly don't remember him coming more than a time, or two. But that was Freddie, too. His place was in the office, his place was with his family, his place was playing shortstop on his beloved softball team. God, he loved the business, and he loved (most of) us. And we loved him back.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've had an odd 10 days between Fred and a family issue, and I just want to say this as my final word here. I've had a pretty decent career, and I've been thinking of the people who influenced it, and I've come to the conclusion, and not just because of this timing, that of the three people who influenced me the most, Fred was No. 1. The other two played key roles, too, but ...

Edes actually said it in the post before this one: Fred found talent, then got out of the way. But one other thing that it took me a lot longer to learn than it did Fred -- Fred was hands-off, but he also knew when it was time to be hands-on. It wasn't constant, but if the path needed correcting, Fred was there. And because of his judgment to stay out of the way unless it was time to be in the way, he was the manager I've strived to be.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/long-time-sun-sentinel-sports-editor-fred-turner-1393081.html

This tribute.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, printdust, no harm done, but that's Hyde's, posted much earlier here. All part of the three South Florida newspapers sharing things.

Draft saved Draft deleted