1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Fred Turner (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's what I'm talking about. You meet him and you wonder, "Why the hell am I not working for this guy?"

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bill just did a nice tribute to Fred at the end of Around the Horn.

And thanks for posting earlier, Bill.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I REALLY wish I had seen that.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was a little rushed (they even had the clock on him as if he was making some final argument) but a nice tribute and definitely deserved.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Calkins was a hell of a hire.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, very nice. And a lot around what he posted here. Still, nice for them to arrange for him to get the final commentary and he did that.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Bill,

That is simply the best tribute you could pay to this gentleman.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him and I am lesser for it, obviously.

A tip of my cap to you for sharing your story.

RIP, Mr. Turner.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember a writer who was there at the time telling me that story and saying how, at the time, the entire staff thought Turner was certifiably insane for hiring Calkins.

I think he worked out pretty well. :D

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Like all of us, Fred actually whiffed on a couple.

But I don't think he ever whiffed on an important one, and he had a real gut sense of if somebody was going to be good or not -- and he loved taking a chance on somebody hungry.

Randall Mell turned out pretty good -- and he came from a paper in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. There's a list of guys like that.

10. SportsLifer

SportsLifer New Member

A SportsLifer tribute to Fred Turner. http://sportslifer.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/sun-not-quite-as-bright-at-the-sun-sentinel-t

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Nice event today in South Florida. Lots of people, some local, some visiting dignitaries. Two of Fred's kids spoke, and they were great. An appropriate event at a downtown bar near the newspaper after. A nice day for a sad reason.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thanks for the update SF...

I had dinner with Fred about nine years ago. A friend of mine was a former Sun-Sentinel staffer and we met Fred for a late dinner. I had met him in passing once before, but the three of us sat there, eating, drinking and telling stories until the waiter practically kicked us out of the restaurant.

Several years later after I was bought out/laid off/whatever you want to call it, I got a nice note from him saying how sorry he was and how upset he always was to see great journalists lose their jobs through no fault of their own.

It came out of nowhere and was really appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted