1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Fred Thompson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 1, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lawyer, actor, Senator, and Presidential candidate dead at 73.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

RIP to a fine character actor and a solid politician. Before he went all Crazy, Sleepy Old Man in his presidential campaign, he seemed to have a good idea or two.
    Can't believe he was only 73. He must have been one of those people who come out of the womb looking like they're 50.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watergate. He was 33.
    [​IMG]

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oh, that's why you stopped seeing Joe Don Baker in stuff. He changed his name to Fred Thompson.

Batman and old_tony like this.
  6. He had a good turn in Law and Order.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Top three roles for me: 1. Authority figure in Hunt for Red October ("This thing will get out of control and we'll be lucky to survive it.")
    2. Authority figure in Die Hard II ("Rack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em.")
    3. Authority figure in No Way Out ("CIA Director Marshall: And you can forget about Pritchard. He's homosexual.
    Kevin O'Brien: I'll be damned.
    CIA Director Marshall: Ah, so will he, if you believe the Old Testament.")

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hope he took care of his family with a reverse mortgage.

RIP

Batman, exmediahack and Killick like this.
  9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Damn, that commercial is on constant replay on one of the local channels here in Cincy. Still chuckle and enjoy his certain intonation of the phrase "they play an important *role*..."

Somehow, it becomes a two-syllable word.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Don't forget weasel chief of staff in "In the Line of Fire." When Clint mistakes the balloons popping for gunfire, the secret service runs in front of POTUS. Fred runs and hides offstage.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He played the NASCAR president or some such role in Days of Thunder, too.

Big John: If you two wanna turn yourselves into a greasy spot on a country road somewhere, go right ahead. I don't give a shit and I don't think anybody else does, regardless what they say to your face. But you two monkeys are not going to do it on my racetrack. Now y'all heard of a "Japanese Inspection?" Japanese Inpsection, you see, when the Japs get in a load of lettuce they're not sure they wanna let in the country, why they'll just let it sit there on the dock 'til they get good and ready to look at. But then of course, it's all gone rotten... ain't nothing left to inspect. You see, lettuce is a perishable item... like you two monkeys. You trade paint one more time, you so much as touch, I'm gonna Black Flag the two of you, and take apart your racecars for three-hundred laps. Then, if you pass inspection and you put your cars back together, I might let you back into the race. Now, just to show there's no hard feelings we're all gonna go out to dinner together.

murphyc, Batman and doctorquant like this.
  12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He died doing what he loved: scaring gullible seniors into selling their equity to banks for pennies on the dollar.

Draft saved Draft deleted