1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP (?) Fred Phelps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 16, 2014.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Re: Fred Phelps near death, also ex-communicated

Exactly. Throwing the WBC's tactics back in their face only gives them more of the publicity they crave and on which they stay relevant. The best approach may just be benign neglect.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/17/when-fred-phelps-dies-lets-do-nothing/

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, unlike everyone else who posts here, I'm not perfect.

I'm completely at peace with my desire to put a size 12 up his dead ass.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The desire is fine. Then again, I'm sure that on any given day you encounter people who deserve a fist to the mouth. In a civilized society, you don't act on it.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There are literally millions of things that happen every day that shouldn't "in a civilized society," including, say, picketing funerals with "God Hates Fags" signs.

Why people decided to use this scumbag as an example in their lectures on civility is beyond me. Save it.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's Dead

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a special level of hell reserved for anyone who would protest any funeral.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As one of the people his brood's "preaching" affects personally, I've been thinking and writing a lot of thoughts about Phelps. For the majority of you who aren't on my Facebook, here is the status update I just wrote:

I've been thinking a lot about the legacy that Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, leaves behind now that he's dead. I can't take joy in the fact that he's dead, but I'm not shedding any tears either.

He was a hateful, spiteful man who did so much evil in the name of false testimony to his god, but I can't help thinking that celebrating his death, whether it be protesting his funeral or dancing on his grave would lower us to his and his minions' levels. We don't need to demonstrate the level of hyprocrisy in our lives he did by couching his actions in "the bible" by celebrating the end of his life.

I'm not asking anyone to forgive him or absolve him of anything. I'm not asking people to show him the dignity in death that he denied so many others in life. I'm asking people to rise above the hatred he leaves behind as his legacy. We are all better than that. We all should shine a much brighter light in our worlds.

I'm skeptical about whether or not there is an afterlife or a heaven or a hell. I'm confident that if there is, he will get the justice he deserves. That's more than enough.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He may be one of the worst people (at least from this country) in recent memory.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Most powerful thing society can do in this situation is ignore him from this point forward. Scorn is good retribution.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They say the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. Perhaps that's what we should be feeding him and his brood from here on.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Cross him off then.

Draft saved Draft deleted