1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Fred Dean

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 15, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Per multiple sources. HOF D-lineman, mostly with the Chargers and 49ers. Won two Super Bowl titles with the 49ers. One of the most dominating linemen I've ever seen, and imagine what his stats would be like if the NFL recognized sacks as an official stat throughout his careeer.

Was in hospital with covid, but deserves his own topic.

Reports: Hall of Fame defensive end Fred Dean dies of COVID-19 at 68 - ProFootballTalk

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

maumann likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A terrific player. Those 49ers teams got a lot out of veteran defenders.

heyabbott and maumann like this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Those were some great teams.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

They had the great secondary (all went to the Pro Bowl in 1984) but they brought in gritty role players like "Big Hands" Johnson and Jack Reynolds.

Those teams were solid from 1-47.

Dean was a star but had never played with a great overall cast before.

misterbc likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

When some asks for the greatest player ever and you can legitimately throw your QB and a DB into the conversation... that’s a pretty solid squad.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Shit... three. Forgot the WR.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

All four DBs from the 1984 team went to the Pro Bowl. Roger Craig. Dwight Clark. Randy Cross. And unheralded Wendell Tyler rushed for 1,200 yards.

Amazing job of Walsh putting all that together. And then adding Jerry Rice.

9. HanSenSE

The thing I remember about those DBs is they were so young in terms of NFL experience. The theory was to mature them together, and did it ever work.

maumann likes this.
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Fred Dean was just cool as shit. Smoking cigarettes, cutting records, absolutely jacking up quarterbacks. He had the best segment of the Chargers LP. RIP Fred Dean

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The thing that blew me away was meeting Ronnie Lott at a Warriors game one night. I was an inch taller and about the same weight as him but he played like he was 6-2, 225.

misterbc and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Thirty-nine years before the Titans did so Tuesday, Dean showed why practice isn't always necessary. San Diego traded him to the 49ers a few weeks into the 1981 season, and he suited up that Sunday against Dallas with only a handful of practice snaps. Bill Walsh told John Madden in the broadcast-production meeting the day before the game that Dean wouldn't play much. Then Dean played from start to finish and had two sacks, two more QB hits and a TFL.

"Before the day is done, you'll remember No. 71." Indeed. R.I.P.

HanSenSE and Baron Scicluna like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted