1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Frank Caliendo on FOX pregame

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I never thought he was funny and wouldn't see him if given a free ticket.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I initially thought he was funny, but the act grew stale several years ago. As has been said, his Rome and Madden impressions are pretty good and he came up with some good routines. I actually tried to watch the short-lived Frank TV. What a shitshow. Which goes against proudpittsburgher's notion that the schtick would be better over a longer period.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure you can find it on YouTube, but before he was famous, he called in a national radio show as Madden and convinced them he was quitting. The station was writing the release announcing the news when he finally told them it was just an impression.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I kinda liked Miller on MNF, which probably puts me in a very small minority. Sure wish he was on now, given the mediocrity in the MNF booth now.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Kind of reminds me of Dana Carvey in that respect. Good at impressions, but not really a writer.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

His summer show a few years back was awful. Same impressions every week and they weren't funny at all.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Frank Tv was terrible. They hyped it so much I watched it for a week or two. Dreadful.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Addition by subtraction.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I thought his best stuff was as George W. "Frat Boy" Bush.

"Gobble, gobble!"

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... Disagree on Carvey... I've seen him live a couple times and he just kills it... One of the better performers I've seen. With Carvey, it's a comedy show that happens to have impressions. With Caliendo, it's a bunch of impressions grouped together that is disguised as a show.

Of the guys who are known for impressions, I've seen Carvey, I've seen Kevin Pollack, I've seen Jay Mohr and those guys were just tremendous. I know a lot of people hate Mohr, but I thought he was hilarious.

Aries Spears and Caliendo were the two I saw who could do spot-on impressions, but just weren't very funny. Probably not a coincidence that both were on Mad TV.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The first year TBS had the MLB playoffs. Think I made it through one episode.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Agreed. I thought he was very good on MNF. Certainly better than Jaws.

Draft saved Draft deleted