1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Frank Caliendo on FOX pregame

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Aug 3, 2012.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Good riddance.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/02/caliendo-out-at-fox/

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the Fox crew has stayed together as long as it has. I can't imagine a studio show in the '80s would have had much credibility with players and coaches from the 50s - but Bradshaw last played 30 years ago, Long retired 20 years ago, Johnson last coached 13 years ago.
    Irv Cross was dumped in '89 by CBS's NFL Today 20 years after his last snap.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I have tried, but never found Caliendo funny.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He does very good impressions of John Madden.

5. Long overdue ..

No George Bush. No Brett Favre. No John Madden. This guy ran out of relevant impressions about four years ago.

Maybe they'll hire Vaughn Meador. ::)

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

My pre-teen children will be devastated.

7. Eh, comedy is always very subjective. I have tried to like Daniel Tosh, but just don't find him funny. Others find him hilarious. Foxworthy is a comedic genius to some, others think he's a hack. I'll say this about Caliendo, for a guy who was forced into impressions with very little background, he's really quite good at it. And he seems to be able to not just rest on the quality of his impressions, rather work them into a nice routine as well. But there is no room for him in a 30 second spot on a football pregame show. His schtick works better over a longer period.

8. turski7

turski7 Member

His Jim Rome is fantastic. Madden is funny as well. However, his standup isn't that great.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Frank Caliendo sounds like John Madden (and many other celebrities). He just never says anything funny while sounding like John Madden (or any other celebrities).

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Comedy wore its welcome thin in the broadcast booth? Do tell.

[​IMG]

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

actually, he was at his funniest when he was being serious when he did the bob and tom talk radio morning show.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw Caliendo in concert a few years back and while his impressions are top notch, his material is very, very, very mediocre.

Draft saved Draft deleted