1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Forrest "Woody" Miller

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Carroll, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Jeff_Carroll

Jeff_Carroll New Member

I just found out that Forrest "Woody" Miller died, I believe today. For any of you who don't know Woody, he worked at the South Bend Tribune for more than 50 years, full-time past his 80th birthday. He continued to cover the Notre Dame women's basketball beat through last year, traveling around the Big East, and would have probably never retired had the industry not made the decision for him.

I believe he was 80.

2. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

A great send-off by his colleagues ...

http://www.sbtinfo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090301/Sports/903010336/1001/Sports

I especially liked the close ...

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Woody was a good man and reliable reporter and writer, day in and day out for more than 50 years. Low-key, humble, a man of few words who epitomized putting his coverage well ahead of his own ego. I remember him wearing the striped black and white shirt as official scorer at Notre Dame men's basketball games when I was there in the '70s.

Draft saved Draft deleted