1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP former NFL OC Mike Heimerdinger, 58

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 1, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Dies from the cancer that last year cut short his Titans coaching career mid-season.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111001/SPORTS01/111001013/Former-Titans-assistant-Heimerdinger-dies?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damn. 58 is too young. Hell, I have two siblings older than that.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sad news. I've always wondered how football coaches, whether in college or pro, handled health insurance considering they move around a lot. And since Heimerdinger was let go with most of the Titans staff last year I hope his family isn't taking a huge hit. Their loss is big enough as it is.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Very sad. 58 is too young to die for anybody. Fuck cancer.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

There is a law known as COBRA that allows a terminated employee to maintain his health insurance for 18 months after he/she leaves the job. But the Titans continue to show thier class as an organization. This is an organization that fired Steve McNair by having a low level staffer throw him out of the bbuilding when he came in to work out. Heimerdinger was diagnosed with cancer last year before the staff got fired at season-end. The Titans must have known he would be unable to find another job due to his health. They could have kept him around as a scout or something.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know about COBRA - I was just figuring football coaches (esp. asst. coaches) could buy into a plan at some point that they could take from job to job as long as they landed somewhere new within a year or so.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This would be an excellent idea. I know there was/is an association of NFL assistant coaches but I don't think they were ever able to obtain this benefit.

Draft saved Draft deleted