1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, former MLB reliever Frank Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 17, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sad ending for a solid reliever who pitched for my favorite team, the Reds:

http://www.timescolonist.com/Sports/Tragic+story+league+baseballer+ends+streets/1175320/story.html

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Just FYI, some of us don't hack through those endless general threads, so it's worth posting separately. Even if Williams wasn't a big name, he lasted for a few years with several teams, so he's probably recognizable to more than a few people. Plus, it's a pretty fascinating, albeit sad, story that's worth reading even if his name isn't familiar.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved the Reds growing up in the '80s. Lived and died with them. Thanks to Marty and Joe I still want to go Krogering.

Frank Williams was awesome for the Reds a couple years in the late '80s. I remember owning Statis-Pro Baseball 1988. Frank was a 2-8 as a reliever. Loved funneling it into that bullpen with him and Rob Dibble and John Franco. Worked so well for the Reds, a couple years later they rode it to the World Series (albeit without Williams and Franco).

Draft saved Draft deleted