1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, former heavyweight champion Corrie Sanders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He was at a family member's birthday party when three armed men tried to rob the restaurant they were in. Sanders was shot twice and died early this morning:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/story/20333978/former-heavyweight-champion-sanders-shot-dead-during-robbery

For casual or non-boxing fans, Sanders won the heavyweight title by knocking out Wladimir Klitschko in a huge upset. He then proceeded to get pummeled by Vitali Klitschko in one of the most brutal beatdowns I've ever seen.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Damn. I watched a documentary just the other night on the Klitschko brothers and I'm pretty sure Sanders was interviewed. Did he lose the sight in an eye due to Vitali? If I'm thinking of the right person, he spoke well of the Klitschkos.

RIP

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Corrie Sanders is my first point of contention that Vitali is the superior Klitschko.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Was he ahead against Lennox Lewis? Either way, Lewis was a monster and there's no shame in losing that.

5. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

[/quote]
    Damn. I watched a documentary just the other night on the Klitschko brothers and I'm pretty sure Sanders was interviewed. Did he lose the sight in an eye due to Vitali? If I'm thinking of the right person, he spoke well of the Klitschkos.

RIP
    [/quote]

The person interviewed in the documentary was Lamon Brewster, who beat Wladimir in 2004 and was then knocked out in a rematch a few years later.

Despite those three losses, Wladimir has become a dominant HW champion... both Klitschko brothers are future Hall-of-Famers.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I saw Sanders fight Bobby Czyz at Mohegan Sun in 1997 or 1998. I thought because Czyz was the smaller guy coming up in weight, he'd be faster, but Sanders was the faster guy. As heavily muscled as Sanders was, you didn't think he'd be that fast, but he was very fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted