1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ford Taurus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Oct 19, 2006.

1. But, JR, didn't you and the missus, ah, enjoy the fine Corinthian leather?

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The scary thing, JR, is the '82 Cordoba was the downsized model.

I have an aunt and uncle who had one. Horrible car. They have a long history of buying crappy cars, including a '98 Taurus that has upholstery that looks like someone threw up on it.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

FB, it cost me (used) $1500 and I drove it for two years. Resold it for $1,000.

My car after that was a Honda Civic which could havefit in the Cordoba's glove box

4. A non-denial denial on you, the missus, and the FCL, I see. Hmm.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Still a classic. I would love to see Will Ferrell remake this commercial.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Damn car's the spitting image of the one I owned.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Best part of that commercial is the end, in which he refers to "this small Chrysler."

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, the damn thing was the size of the Queen Mary and handled like a pig.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The problems with the Taurus weren't specific to that model -- rather, they were the same problems that lost Ford sales for years.
    Transmissions were often faulty after 70K miles, and the body generally fell apart pretty easy.
    Other than that, though, not a bad car.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Since we're on shitty cars, who produced the Hornet?

THAT was the car my mom hated the most, and literally from day one. My parents have never gotten rid of a car as fast as they got rid of the Hornet. I remember visiting my mom's family on Long Island and my mom crying in the car because the Hornet was such a sack of shit car that she was worried whether or not we'd make it over the Throgs Neck Bridge (or, as I called it back then, the Frogs Neck Bridge) on our way home.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

BTW: Fix Or Repair Daily, or so I hear.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hornet was AMC.

Our 1976 Chevy Vega was so piss-poor. During Maryland winters (not exactly Siberia), we used to put a Bekins blanket over the hood and actually kept a heater going during winter nights to keep the garage warm, else the Vega wouldn't start in the morning. It was like caring for an infirm horse.

Draft saved Draft deleted