1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Flip Saunders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Just came across Twitter. 60 years old.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No story yet, but CBS Sports app confirmed, although they had his age at 69.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Holy shit. In August, they said it was "very treatable." Sad news.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Fuck cancer

heyabbott likes this.
  5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Premature? Don't see any news stories yet...

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Got the AP alert on my phone.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Damn. Over the past month this seemed inevitable with the stories -- and lack of real news -- coming out about his health. He turned the Wolves franchise around in the 1990s. People joked about the first round exits those years, but check out the franchise's record before he took over as coach. Great basketball mind and always seemed like a good guy. I played JUCO ball in the same league where Flip got his coaching start, at Golden Valley in Minnesota. He went 56-0 at home there.

A lot of people didn't like that he had so much power with the Wolves but I really thought he had them on the right track with all that young talent, and to know he's not going to be there to see what happens is terribly sad.

He also played on the Gophers teams of Musselman, famous for their pregame warmups. Note: This isn't actually him on the unicycle, but he was involved.

1975 Minnesota Gophers Basketball Warm Up

http://strib.mn/1LvjLHc

Machine Head likes this.
  9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Team confirms it on a Twitter. I remember running the cancer story a little while back and how upbeat he seemed to fight it. This is pretty shocking and very sad.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Busy dude the last 3 years ...

Screen shot 2015-10-25 at 2.16.53 PM.png

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

When announced a couple months ago the report was "very treatable and curable", made it sound something he'd likely beat. Instead it took him in two months.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted