1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Field & Stream

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 19, 2021.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I asked for Sanka one morning in a college town coffee shop (or whatever they hell special word they're called now).

"Sanka? I, uh ..." and she turned to her co-worker. "Do we have Sanka? What is that?"

"I think that's what my grandfather drank. We don't have it, though."

By now my brother and I are laughing, so I just asked for black coffee.

"Black? You don't want anything in it?"

Describing VCRs, microfiche, pre-cell phone days, three TV channels plus Public (so, four channels) and carbon paper always is fun.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I gots to know . . .

Track > Field
    Stream > Field?

A typewriter that could correct mistakes (with white ribbon) was my pride and joy in 1979.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    maumann likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sanka?!?

You … you … heathen!

SixToe likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought the last can of Sanka rolled off the factory line in 1989.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure that every Sanka can ever made was eventually used to hold spare change and other junk.

Driftwood, Dog8Cats and garrow like this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

If you didn't have a Sanka can next to a Maxwell House can with both filled to the brim with shit, were you even around in the '80s?

Driftwood, playthrough and garrow like this.
  8. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Not surprising.

Re: Bonnier talk

I was in the round of layoffs in 2018. Bonnier closed Sport Fishing a year or so back as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Marlin is next.

Bonnier will go down with Saltwater Sportsman. I don't know how the non-fishing titles fare.

SixToe, Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

OL announced today its "all-new" seasonal digital editions will "drop" sometime in June, along with a new podcast.

Sanka is still made and distributed by Kraft Foods. Similar to Soylent Green, cockroaches and insufferable Alabama football fans, it never will go away.

maumann likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was trying to go off of coffee and started by switching to Sanka, then stopping completely. I had a jar of instant Sanka crystals in my desk drawer. After a couple of weeks or reducing intake, I did stop. About a year later, I was cleaning my desk, grabbed the Sanka jar which had been untouched. It was like trying to mine for coal. It was rock hard and bent the spoon I was using to pry some loose.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Why would you give someone my TV Guide?!

SixToe and Tighthead like this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My high school graduation present in 1976, an electric Smith-Corona, had a slot for removable ribbon cartridges, so you could change colors and fix errors. Groovy, man.

Draft saved Draft deleted