1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Field & Stream

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 19, 2021.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At least you weren't trying to donate National Geographics. Those are the bane of librarians.

maumann likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I left behind probably 1,000 pounds of magazines when I moved from the Midwest to the PNW. There was a shit-ton of National Geographic, Rolling Stone and Esquire, plus a bunch of SI that I carted around for years. Bunch of other mags, too. Some of them, especially RS special issues, would be worth a little bit today, but fuck carting that stuff around all over hell's half-acre.

HanSenSE, misterbc, Liut and 2 others like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is any value in all those old race papers I have (or media guides, too, for that matter).
    I doubt it.

motorsportwriter likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh, man. When I was growing up my grandmother had a small library room in her house and I loved, loved the rows of yellow National Geographics. Just made me feel smart to thumb through a few when I visited. So one of the first things I did after college was start to buy up old copies and put them on shelves. I thought it was amazing that junk dealers would sell them so cheap. Then my wife and I started moving for jobs ... long story short, I do not have National Geographics anymore. And I'm very good with that.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You and everyone else wants to donate those to libraries, where they will sit unused until they turn to dust.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When my Mom died I inherited 50 years of carefully stored Gourmet magazines. They didn't make the trip from Florida to Massachusetts, but I get why she did it. Recipes at least have a value as reference material.

Liut likes this.
  7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I kept years and years of Sports Illustrateds, from the '70s into the early '90s, and my Mom pestered the hell out of me about throwing them out. My move from NYC to the border, in 1991, I complied, keeping only 20-30 for the long journey. A couple moves later, they were gone, too.

Liut likes this.
  8. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

Shoot, I must have easily over 1,000 media guides primarily from the 1980s (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, racing and more) into the 2010s in Xerox boxes in my basement. Heck, if I can get $2 or $3 per guide, I'd be happy. Just a matter of finding someone who's interested.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Maumann-
    I was the kid asking the library if they had any old sports magazines they didn't want.

It was very amusing as I tried recently to describe microfiche to my nephews. I told them we also had these weird things called VCRs, and would even tape shit on them.

maumann likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I've been in a field and unleashed a stream before.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The only way I got rid of a bunch of aforementioned stuff was having it blown away by Hurricane Katrina.

That includes college text books. Good riddance, I guess.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Reminds me of trying to explain to my daughter that back in the day, I watched whatever cartoon was on the local station at 8 AM as I got ready for school. None of this "pick whatever you want on streaming" spoiled rotten nonsense. Of course, back then I actually went to school all day, unlike now in pandemic times.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted