1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP FHM

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I did a few freelance work/articles for Maxim the first year it existed and I've had a free subscription ever since... I used to love it when I was in my early 20s, but now not so much...

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Trivia: Name the woman who graced Maxim's inaugural issue.

3. Mizzougrad96

Christa Miller...

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can't believe any of them have lasted this long. I got a gift subscription to Maxim a few years, looked at the first couple of issues and junked the rest seconds after taking them out of the mailbox. How many times can you read about picking up a deaf chick or scoring at a funeral.....

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Correct. And she was almost fully clothed.

She's quite attractive, but most certainly not the type of woman Maxim would be featuring in subsequent issues.

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Who is Christa Miller?

7. Mizzougrad96

I had a few friends who worked there from the beginning and they said they were turned down by about a zillion actresses before they got Miller to agree to do it... If I remember correctly, Alyssa Milano was their first choice for the cover and some of the people to turn them down were Lecy Goranson (the original Becky from Roseanne) and Nicole Eggert... They were slumming, but did well with Miller because her character on Drew Carey was so likable. I think Jill Hennessy was on the second cover...

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Played Drew Carey's cute friend (and later lover) on the Drew Carey Show.

Now she does a lot of guest spots on Scrubs. Her husband directs the show, I think.

She's quite cute.

Interesting stuff, Mizzou. If I was running a startup and Lecy Goranson turned me down, I probably would have pulled the plug.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Kate or the southern belle he met later on?

10. Mizzougrad96

They were slumming for content as well, which is why I did some work for them... They paid an obscene amount of money about $1 a word, which included charts... I told someone that I'd be surprised if they made it past the third issue.

I think they finally got Milano as their cover girl during the second year... It's interesting to watch the progression of the caliber of the actresses/models on cover as the mag got more and more popular.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I can't believe FHM had a circ of 1.25 million... that means it's got roughly half of what SI or Newsweek has, and more than Vanity Fair, the New Yorker, Gourmet, Travel + Leisure and Marie Claire.

12. Mizzougrad96

Trivia Time: Who was on the cover of the first FHM?

Hint: I don't think she was even as well-known as Christa Miller was at the time...

Draft saved Draft deleted