1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP F117-A stealth fighter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 21, 2008.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Wasn't the F-117 in service for like six years before the government even admitted its existence?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

They did tell the people of that town in Nevada, though, so the people wouldn't think they were seeing UFOs while the new planes were being tested.

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

I was driving a friend across country, going through Nevada, at a time when this plane was still more rumor than reality - no one had a picture of it. Out of nowhere we hear this immense roar, and then a dark streak. The stealth plane buzzes the truck we were driving, passing overhead by maybe 100 feet - you could feel the heat.

We grabbed the camera and snapped away, but that plane was already miles away.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh, how I'd love to work at Area 51 someday to see what they've got cooked up (or maybe even pickled up).

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Never forget when one flew over SB XXXV.... Didn't make a sound.

6. As long as there are defense contractors, there will be manned aircraft.

7. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Circa 1992 I was out on a rented houseboat on Lake Powell in Utah when a pair of F-117s zipped in and flew around and over the lake and the neighboring sandstone formations.

Real low. Real quiet. Real cool.

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Fens is correct. And a pilotless air arm would ultimately be a mistake. Now a near-pilotless air arm would be OK.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Let's hope the day for both of these scenarios is well into the future, because nothing, no technology, can ever replace a person at the real point of attack. Missiles are one thing. Aircraft are entirely different.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think we will see, exclusively, unmanned aircraft in attack roles in the near future. We're moving that direction, now, with some of the unmanned vehicles already out there. It's the next logical step.

I will, however, say that people-carrying will be done with humans for longer. It will be hard to shove 12 Joes into the back of a Black Hawk being flown by some pencil-pusher 1,000 miles away.

11. Hey, if we're still building aircraft carriers, we'll build anything.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know about near future three_bags_full. I can see that whole moral dilemma snaring the works. But I'm sure the capability to have unmanned attack aircraft will be in the not-too-distant future based on what I've read. Admittedly, that was a few months ago when I was still into an online RPG I played. But still.

Draft saved Draft deleted