1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ex-Saint DE Will Smith in road rage shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, I think it's still perfectly possible that it was a coincidence that these two men with a tenuous connection got into it. If I was in an accident in my home area, there's a reasonable likelihood that I would have some connection to the other driver. I hit someone in a gas station parking lot about 10 years ago, and it was my friend's ex-girlfriend.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

If Smith had a gun we likely would have heard that by now. Attorney implies to me the defense will be, big bad NFL player storms the car, irate and aggressive. Client fears for his life. And that very well could have some merit.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Smith had dinner that night with the cop who killed Hayes' dad.

Coincidence is an extremely, extremely tough sell.

I'm guessing the guy intentionally rammed his car. Now, Smith might not have known any of this was going on and most probably has zero culpability, but "wrong place wrong time" is very far-fetched.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe they just got isn't a really heated abortion debate and shit got out of hand.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Is it the same cop? What I read this weekend said that it was a cop named in the lawsuit.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm not clear on that either. Story I just read worded it the same

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I believe Louisiana has a stand-your-ground law. I'm sure the dude will be using it to say he is justified in killing Smith. He looks proud of himself in his mug shot.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have a hard time imagining how and why this scenario would have played. I also have a tough time buying it as a coincidence. Curiouser and curiouser

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Advocate story says: "Cardell Hayes’ mentally ill father, Anthony Hayes, 38, was pepper-sprayed and then killed by nine shots that came from a group of NOPD officers — including Billy Ceravolo, one of Smith’s dining companions Saturday night."

Cardell Hayes, suspected of killing former Saints player Will Smith, sued city of New Orleans after police killed dad in 2005

I read that as Ceravolo being part of the killing.

Knowing the dad was mentally ill makes it a lot easier to believe the son would be too.

10. Dick Whitman

This is complete nonsense and it displays the mentality that either gets people wrongfully convicted or gives oxygen to ridiculous conspiracy theories. ("Those Sandy Hook parents were laughing before they took the mic!")

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Your post is nonsense, not mine.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

False.

Draft saved Draft deleted