1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ex-Saint DE Will Smith in road rage shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, but when is the media going to report that? [/YankeeFan]

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You're right about that. Deadspin is where I saw it, so I linked it, but I'll probably be more careful of that in the future. Only fair to the person who originally reports it. FWIW:
    Cardell Hayes, suspected of killing former Saints player Will Smith, sued city of New Orleans after police killed dad in 2005

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I never flip people off or yell out windows. Learned early. I was in the backseat in high school when the guy in the front passenger seat flipped somebody off. The guy flipped out, chased our car, pulled ahead of us and basically ran us off the road to stop us. Driver stupidly put his window down to talk to the guy and the guy -- who was probably in his late 2os -- coldcocked the driver (who was 17).

A friend of the driver's family was a high-ranking cop in town and he said it wasn't worth pursuing assault charges because the guy in the passenger seat had effectively committed breach of peace by flipping the guy off and provoking him.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

YF, any chance the Clintons had a hand in this?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If the police killed his dad, he's totally justified.

7. YankeeFan

It is what it is, but the second amendment quip was silly.

Do we even know if he legally possessed the gun?

8. Dick Whitman

Is there any other way?

9. Dick Whitman

It seems like details are pretty sparse right now. I suspect that we'll get more when Smith's widow talks to the police.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Had something similar happen last year but thankfully didn't get punched. Was getting off the highway onto a pretty major road but there was little traffic. As I sat at the light at the off ramp a car zoomed up behind. Didn't think much about it. Just turned and went on. Guess this asshole needed to go faster. I don't recall doing anything though I may have tapped my brakes to get him off my ass. He zoomed around me through the turn lane and cut me off to make me stop. I had room to go around but I was almost stopped. He jumped out of the car with crazy in his eyes so Im ducking as I try to pull away. He starts screaming at me, for what, I don't know. And just as I'm passing him, he lets fly with a wad of spit. People are fucking nuts.

11. YankeeFan

I'm going to guess he didn't legally possess it:

Hayes has one previous arrest, on Aug. 1, 2010, court records show. Hayes was charged with illegal carrying of a weapon, illegal possession of codeine and possession of drug paraphernalia, among other charges. He pleaded guilty in June 2012 to a weapons charge and the possession of codeine, and received a 5-year prison sentence that was immediately suspended. But Hayes withdrew his guilty plea the following month, records show.

In June 2013, Hayes rejected a plea offer from prosecutors. Finally, in January 2014 he pleaded guilty to a reduced weapons charge and to a count of possession of drug paraphernalia. He received a suspended six-month sentence, records show.

Will Smith's shooting: Cardell Hayes booked on 2nd-degree murder in ex-Saint's killing

12. Dick Whitman

Draft saved Draft deleted