1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eunice Kennedy Shriver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Just reported on CNN.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What a life.

RIP.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There was a time when I would have regarded the death of "a Kennedy" as some great tragedy.

She did have quite a life, but it brings to mind the general mistreatment/ill treatment of all women throughout the golden history of the Kennedy clan.

We can all agree, perhaps, that she's better off now.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a great lady.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not sure I understand what that post means.
    Most of the Kennedy clan acknowledged Eunice as the brigthest and most philanthropic of them all.

RIP to a lady who genuinely cared.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There aren't too many people who used sports to genuinely make a difference in society. She did. As big a difference as Jackie Robinson made.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

rip and thank you for a job well done with special olympics

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

My son has been a Special Olympian for two years now. Last year, he won one event and showed me his blue ribbon every day for several weeks.

You leave a wonderful legacy, Ms. Shriver. RIP

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd start with this book, written by one of our great historians and thinkers.

http://www.amazon.com/Kennedy-Imprisonment-Meditation-Power/dp/0618134433

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I read about her starting the Special Olympics in SI earlier this year. I was embarrassed for my ignorance of her contribution to society.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

RIP.

That just leaves Jean and Ted.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand and appreciate where Henry is coming from. While Shriver's lifework has been monumental, I don't think the coverage of her hospitalization and death would have been as extensive if she wasn't a Kennedy. But figure Maria's industry status, her husband and a long fondness for Camelot is just kind of hard to shake.
    BTW - Teddy's kids will accept his medal of freedom from Obama today - Ted won't be there. Another honoree is Nancy Brinker of the Komen Foundation - she's right up there with Shriver. Anyone who could get Major League Baseball on board to wear pink unis and use pink bats and make a cause a fashion statement, is doing something right.

Draft saved Draft deleted