1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ESPN The Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 30, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Dan-
    There was no action plan for digital. This needed to be studied, and studied, and studied.
    The internet didn't just fall out of the sky like the asteroid that triggered the dinosaurs' extinction.
    There is an entire generation of people (now starting their own families) that have no memory of a world where you didn't get online content for free.

Fredrick likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing that digital changed things - only that print readership was already in decline. Younger generations weren't reading.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

$8 for two freaking years. The cost of a freaking foot long sandwich. Smh

PaperClip529 likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm just the opposite. To me, paper feels . . . authoritative.

Online seems . . . just more crap that anyone can post.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll take "Commercials you can't air in 2019" for $600, Alex.

exmediahack and Doc Holliday like this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

Fair enough, Dan.
    But let's see how that changes when we get undeniable scientific proof that the ionizing radiation from mobile phones is killing people.
    Remember when cigs were considered 'harmless' in the 1950s? The truth knocked that industry flat on its ass.
    As it has a way of doing.

I am around enough young people regularly to see they have an interest in news consumption ... if it doesn't involve the daily shitnado of our national politics.
    Certain aspects need to be retired, yes.
    The gamer is dead. It was thus in 2005 and I can't believe they still get written.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Asked the HS seniors in my classes today how many read a newspaper. Only one positive response: "My dad does."

Most do consume digital, but that can be anything.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My first experience with newspapers as a kid came by way of a clever contest.

Pick the winners of the college football games.

But where are the games from which to choose? Hidden in small type among a page full of ads.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As the editor of an association magazine ... um, no.

Then again, part of our members dues pays for a good chunk of the magazine, and we only send it out to members and our member clubs. Trying to find space in bookstores/grocery stores is expensive, and to your point, I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone lingering around the magazine rack at the local Kroger.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When I was a teen many moons ago I loved browsing the magazine rack for all the sports titles, and there were a lot. Recently in line at a Walgreens, I looked over and saw a couple fantasy baseball mags and an SI special edition, and that was it. Cooking and fitness seemed to be the most popular titles.

11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

What a dumb decision. This was the best part of ESPN and they ruined it, and for what? I seriously doubt this mag was operating at a loss of THAT much — it’s ESPN for god sake

12. 3_Octave_Fart

The Mouse lost money on a Star Wars film. Hard to pull off. They are going to cut anything they deem expendable, like a third-string center.

Draft saved Draft deleted