1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernie Johnson Sr.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Former Milwaukee Brave, Atlanta Braves broadcaster and father of current TNT broadcaster... I remember listening to him on the radio growing up...

Just reported on the Brewers' broadcast tonight. Apparently he was in Hospice care for a while.

RIP, Ernie.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, RIP Ernie.
    It was great as an adolescent to listen to him and Skip and Pete Van Weiren in the Braves broadcast booth.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mark Bradley:

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2011/08/12/ernie-johnson-a-peach-of-an-announcer-a-peach-of-a-man/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

It certainly was.

Prayers for his family...

RIP.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Listening to Ernie was like having a third grandpa tell you about a baseball game. Sorely missed.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just now hearing about this...damn. I too grew up in Atlanta and Ernie, Skip and Pete (and John Sterling, when he was just a young gasbag) were the voices of summer -- and a whole lot of bad Braves baseball.

RIP Ernie.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

CBS and its PGA golf telecast had a nice Nantz-read tribute as it went to a break today.

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I recall fondly the times Ernie would get the net and try to snare foul balls hit back toward the booth.
    It was having Ernie, Skip and Pete call Braves games that made that team so much fun to follow, even when the product on the field was wretched.
    RIP EJ Sr.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think the product on the field is what made that team so much fun. they knew damn well these games had no business being broadcast in Atlanta, let alone nationwide on a cable superstation, so they reserved the right to have a little fun with it. I lost count of how many times Skip Carey made me laugh out loud during my childhood.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And the "Superstation" itself was such a joke back in the day. The best was Skip reading promos for the after-game movies. He knew some of them were even bigger clunkers than the game, which was saying something.

Draft saved Draft deleted