1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernie Holmes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 18, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08018/850306-66.stm

This one is mostly for the SteelersSportsJournalists.com crew.

Holmes was one of the more colorful members of the Pittsburgh Steelers of the '70s and a guy who had some issues. He was probably most famous for shooting at a police helicopter after suffering a mental breakdown in Ohio in 1973. "Fats" was also known for having an arrow shaved into his head. According to Wikipedia, his girlfriend at the time also had the same hairstyle, though I've never seen that in pictures.

Holmes was part of the original Steel Curtain, starting at defensive tackle along with Joe Greene, Dwight White and L.C. Greenwood, and those defenses were at their most dominant when he was there from 1972-77.

Holmes was killed last night in an automobile accident near Beaumont, TX. He was 59.
    RIP

2. Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I remember reading something in Dan Rooney's autobiography about a player back then, I think it was Holmes, who battled depression problems that got pretty bad. The book made it seem like he got past those problems. Either way, a sad day.

3. outofplace

It sounds like Holmes, but that team had a few troubled members. Mike Webster was one, though those issues came later. Plus there was Joe Gilliam with his drug addiction.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

During the the NFL TV Super Bowl series, Joe Greene has some pretty high praise for Holmes.

What I remember from Greene's story is Homes predeciting he is about to do something to Upshaw's ass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. It was fairly lame smack, even for back in the day, but I remember laughing when Green said it on the video. Mostly because I don't think it was smack-talk, I think "Fats" was probably serious.

6. The man shot up trucks on the highway, shot at a police helicopter and shot a cop during a chase in the woods. Yet, somehow the Steelers got him off without jailtime. I guess Rooney really did rule.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yet another ex-NFLer dead before 60.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is the first player I ever interviewed for a feature after getting a job covering the Tampa Bay Bucs in the summer of 1978. He took me to a driving range between two-a-days and I interviewed him while he hit golf balls.

Obviously, the feature didn't stand up for very long, since he didn't make the team before going to New England and playing three games before retiring. But a little nostalgia there.

9. outofplace

How does being killed in a car accident relate to him having played in the NFL?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simply a fact.

I know that you like working off that grid, but I ain't biting.

11. Simon_Cowbell

How long did you cover the Bucs in that gig?

12. FightScribe

FightScribe Member

Ernie Holmes was a bit before my time. My only memory of him is his participation in a battle royal match at WrestleMania 2. He was one big scary looking dude.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted