1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernie Harwell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 4, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ernie was comfortable in the world of baseball, which is often loud and crude, yet he was always a gentleman.

He was an amazing guy.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Free Press needs to run his old articles. He had some great ones, that I obviously cannot find anywhere on the net. I read one of his stories about 2 years ago about funny trades. The ending was awesome. I hope to find it and post it here.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

My condolences to Miss Lulu and the Harwell family.

Al Kaline put it best in a radio interview - Ernie just might be the most popular person in the history of Detroit pro sports. His body will lie in state at Comerica Park tomorrow. A gate will be opened at 7 a.m. and will close when the last person has paid their respects.

My favorite Ernie story: When I was working for my high school radio station in metro Detroit, a national sports card convention came to our town. Two of us from the station attended the luncheon and sat with him. He took the time to give us high-school kids an interview of decent length.

He was every bit as nice as his public image.

Another favorite memory: Falling asleep listening to Ernie and Ray Lane (later Paul Carey) on my transistor radio that looked like a Sunoco gas pump. My parents would come in and turn it off after I fell asleep.

RIP Ernie. Thanks for the memories.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Harry Moskowitz should listen to some Harwell tapes.

He could learn about announcing a ball game in a proper manner . . .
    and about class.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To borrow a line from one of my favorite announcers of all, Jack Buck. Pardon me while I stand up and applaud (Ernie's career).

I feel like I lost a family member today. The grandpa who would sit with you and tell you stories about the old days. You didn't care that the stories lasted for hours and some of them have been "spun" a little bit, you just enjoyed spending time with family.

6. It's rather cliche but bears repeating - Every time someone like Ernie Harwell passes away, you feel just a little bit older. RIP to a great great man.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A great announcer is like a member of the clergy or a family doctor - he's there at the greatest moments of your life (wins, births, weddings) and the worst (losses, and funerals). There aren't that many that span the generations like Harwell did anymore. Just glad I got to hear him now and then.
    Heard Drew Sharp on the Rome show talking about the time he was about to introduce himself to Harwell - only Harwell came over to him and talked about how much he enjoyed his columns. Sharp recalled the thrill he felt when he realized "Ernie Harwell knows who I am!" It made me tear up a bit, because I remembered the time people I loved to read as a kid complemented me on something I'd written.
    God Bless Ernie Harwell. He certainly blessed us with Ernie.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Touching column by Stephen Brunt of the Globe & Mail.

As Brunt mentions, you'll find a lot of Tiger fans in the southern part of South Western Ontario (Windsor, London, Chatham), all of whom grew up on Ernie

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/brunt06/article1558142/.

Forgive the cliché, but Ernie Harwell sounded like baseball, or it sounded like him – a voice soft and subtle, with a distinct summertime rhythm, simple and poetic, in no particular hurry to get anywhere soon, let alone get to the end.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

People are already lined up for the Ernie Harwell viewing at Comerica Park which does not start for 8 hours.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I am grossed out at the fans shooting photos of the open casket with their cell phone cameras. I'm not really sure of the etiquette, but I'm thinking Miss Manners would not approve.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That is appalling.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Miss Manners probably wouldn't approve of an open casket in a ballpark either.

Not my style, but maybe that's the 21st century version of those little funeral-home cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted