1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernie Harwell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 4, 2010.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Growing up in Northwest Ohio, even as an Indians fan, he was staple listening on the front porch while playing catch in the front yard if the Indians weren't playing. He would fit a story you'd never forget in between the pitches of a half inning. He'd cut through any delicate issue with just a few words. He made horribly monotonous games into something you stayed with, just to hear him call it.

And despite his seniority, he never seemed aged or out of the loop. He was always fresh, which made the Tigers' plan to phase him out in the early 1990s all the more head-scratching.

I never felt like I was listening to a relic when he announced a game.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Black Crackers? Thats an oxymoron for you.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Marty Brennaman is also an old-time classic; not as old as Scully or Harwell, but he has that radio presence. The rest - especially the TV guys - are much like the stadiums which sprouted up in the early '70s ... cookie cutters.

RIP Ernie. He just exhibited class. If you haven't seen his interview with Bob Costas on MLB Network do yourself a favor and check it out (I'm sure they will re-run it).

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Brenneman is an all-time great, but now when I hear him, he has a crabby, get-off-my-lawn old man feel to him that Scully and Harwell never seemed to exhibit.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There's also a radio interview conducted one year at the Hall of Fame (maybe by George Grand?) --- and replayed on the XM MLB channel quite often during the offseason --- where Harwell talks about his career going all the way back. Tells a great story about going up to see Ty Cobb in Augusta on an off day when he was working with the Crackers.

And yeah, I'm going to be tuning in to Dodgers vs. Brewers over the computer in about an hour to hear what Scully has to say.

And novelist, I'd put Bob Uecker in the same category with Scully in terms of old-school announcers. He's not quite as old (Scully is 82, Uecker is 75) and didn't get started quite as young --- because he was playing --- but has been calling the Brewers since 1971.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What a marvelous human being. His announcing was a bonus.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Knew it was coming, but still sucks...

rip.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Yankee Fan, do yourself a huge favor and read about Ernie and the Atlanta Crackers. The Yankees were so impressed with Harwell, they traded a catcher for Harwell. True story.

I did not want this story to happen. I didn't want to hear this. I'm sitting here, sad and misty-eyed. I was a Harry Caray guy through and through. But once the sun set and if I was lucky around 9pm in Iowa, my radio would pick up WJR and Ernie, KMOX and Buck, and WLW and Marty.

God damnmit, my generation and the millennials have no clue on how special sports on radio is.

Mr. Harwell, thank you sir doeyour class, knowledge, and enriching my love for baseball.

This hurts.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I dig Bob Uecker, but I'm not sure I'd put him in the same class with Harwell and Scully.

It was the Dodgers that made that trade.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I poured one out for Skip and Bob Murphy, I would do the same here if I was from that region.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Condolences to Lulu, too. A fantastic lady and a wonderful gentleman.

Sad day in Detroit and all of baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted