1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernie Broglio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by swingline, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

45 bWAR, 43 fWAR over 2,600 games. And he stole bases at a 75 percent clip, which is the bare minimum success rate for it to even be worth the trouble. He shouldn't be in the Hall.

Rickey Henderson was at 81 percent.

And I don't really rate Vets picks. They routinely make awful decisions.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I think if you just do Writers picks, Brock was a bad pick made worse by first ballot. Though, Hoyt Wilhem’s case was not great in hindsight.

I felt Tony Perez was bad choice, but he looks great compared to the Baines selection, who ranks about as well as some of the amok 1940s and 1970s vet votes.

Also, mazeroski’s defense was a big part of his selection.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Speaking of Halls of Fame, coaches account for 7% of Baseball Hall of Famers but 27% of those in Springfield (excluding those who are enshrined as members of a team.) I knew hoops coaches were unduly sanctified, but that's kind of absurd.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Yet you used a Vets pick to denegrate Brock, which by using Vets picks he's well down the list.

5. Regan MacNeil

I was using Baines to illustrate just how much Brock shouldn't be a Hall of Famer. Mazeroski shouldn't be either.

But since I want to keep you happy by not mixing BBWAA and Vets picks, he's probably the worst modern position player elected by the writers.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That’s your butt talking because your mouth knows better. 3,000 hits and held the stolen base records before Rickey Henderson.

7. Regan MacNeil

That doesn't change anything I said. Name a worse one. And the Mazeroski thing's been asked and answered.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think I answered the Brock one, and I didn't even mention he held the SB record before Rickey.

Draft saved Draft deleted