1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernie Banks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Heard the news on early-morning television today and was saddened. RIP, Mr. Cub. So many were impacted by your enthusiasm and positive attitude.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

There was an area high school all-star game many years ago and he agreed to come and throw out the ceremonial first pitch. The day turned out awful with stiff wind and cold. He delivered the first pitch and stayed an inning then took off. The game was horrible. Our writer's lede was "Even Ernie Banks knew it was a bad day for one."
    RIP, sir.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My parents met him one time when they were at a convention in San Antonio. Not sure why he was there, but they said he was very gracious. He posed for a picture with them and signed two baseballs, one for me the sports writer and the other for my nephew who was playing high school baseball at the time. Oh, and unlike some stars whose handwriting is an illegible scrawl, Ernie's was very clear and precise, kind of like the way he played and carried himself. RIP to one of baseball's true greats.

Draft saved Draft deleted